Jason Plato had no idea what he'd got himself into. Yes, he'd decided he would do almost anything to land himself his last-chance British Touring Car Championship drive with the Williams Renault team - his tale of doorstepping Frank Williams is well known.
And, yes, he knew he'd be quick - he'd already proven that by outperforming the ex-Formula 1 opposition he was up against for the deal.
And, yes, competing in the BTCC - with eight manufacturers awash in corporate cash - was, especially for a British driver, second only to getting an F1 ride.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.