The sight was incredible: people everywhere - literally thousands of them lining one side of the road. The sound was perfect: Queen's Under Pressure boomed out in stereo from 100 radios. The smell was pure Finland: Karjala and fags.
This was Palsankyla, last Friday morning. Just after nine.
Spectating on the '1000 Lakes' is always about so much more than the cars. Or, at least you think it is. And then the cars come and you remember that all the other stuff is just peripheral to a car going ballistic at 100mph.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.