In the early 1970s, Jackie Stewart and Emerson Fittipaldi were on top of the world, winning two world championships apiece.
When AUTOSPORT reunited the pair during the 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix weekend for a special feature in an issue celebrating Stewart's career, it was almost four decades on from when they occupied first and second positions at Interlagos.
"Unfortunately we were second and first," quips Stewart, wincing at the memory of his defeat back in 1973. The pair have the air of old friends and rivals, with the shared experience of one of Formula 1's great eras clearly creating a bond that remains as strong now as it was in the '70s.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.