Jim Clark and Graham Hill went into the 1962 South African Grand Prix vying for the world title.
BRM driver Hill won that particular battle and would go on to take the 1968 title with Lotus, while Clark reigned supreme with Lotus in 1963 and 1965.
Before all that, AUTOSPORT's David Phipps asked them a range of questions about the sport. Their honest answers now provide an interesting contrast to the opinions and attitudes of the current F1 field, which will be battling it out at Silverstone this weekend.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.