Almost by the minute, Citroen Racing's Facebook page became more painful for Mikko Hirvonen to read.
News of the Finn's departure from Rally Italy led Citroen's PR department to invite its fans to post social-media messages to cheer up their man. It didn't quite go to plan.
Paraphrasing, the overriding feeling was that Hirvonen wasn't up to the job, has already cost Citroen the title and should, perhaps, step aside for Marcus Gronholm. The definite feeling is that Hirvonen's no Loeb.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.