"Between Turns 5 & 6, Car No. 5 was impeded by Car No. 11 during his fast lap. As a reaction to this, Car No. 5 deliberately forced Car No. 11 off the track."
The above is an extract from the GP2 stewards' statement after Arden International driver Johnny Cecotto Jr moved over on Russian Time's Sam Bird on a straight during qualifying for the opening round of the series in Malaysia last Friday.
As a result, Bird had no option but to drive onto the grass.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.