My father would have called it a disgrace. My grandfather would have used a different word. He'd have said: "It stinks." Both would have been entirely indignant if only partially in possession of the facts.
The first round of the World Rally Championship was always at the centre of a long discussion between my father and I. He would want to know everything: who's in what, what's changed and how did Petter get on. Like most rally fans, dad had a big interest in the Solberg side of things.
And he would offer plenty of opinion too - always based on the television coverage he'd seen. As a life-long competitor-turned fan, he would hoover up any hint of a rally car on telly.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.