When Michael Schumacher announced his second exit from Formula 1 in October 2012, many speculated that he might follow brother Ralf into DTM. Our final Best Features of 2012 selection is Jamie O'Leary's take on why that wouldn't have been the right move for the seven-time world champion...
So Michael Schumacher has decided to retire from Formula 1 - again.
The announcement made by the German in the Suzuka paddock came as no great surprise given Lewis Hamilton's signing of a multi-year deal the previous week.
Amid all the outpouring of thanks and praise to all he's worked with during his three-year F1 comeback with Mercedes, some of the most important words were those he didn't utter. This was the revelation of a retirement from grand prix racing, not racing altogether.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.