Alain Prost is stressed. He's arrived late to Paul Ricard, and with daylight fading he desperately wants to get some laps under his belt in the 2010 Formula 1 World Championship-winning Red Bull RB6.
He's supposed to be demonstrating it in front of tens of thousands of his countrymen the following morning, as part of the World Series by Renault Formula 1 display, which takes place at each round. Usually one of Red Bull's younger drivers is sent along to entertain the crowds, but in France the 'keys' to the Red Bull are being handed to a legend.
This is going to be the first time since 1996 that the four-time world champion has driven a contemporary F1 car, so his agitation is understandable. As he slides himself into the surprisingly comfortable cockpit, one of the Red Bull engineers starts explaining the functions performed by the various buttons and dials on the steering wheel.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.