1985 Norisring Trophae - Porsche 956
Norisring was always a special place for me - I won a lot of races there - so I'd have to pick one of those wins as the best moment from my time in Group C. In 1985 I didn't have a drive, but I really wanted to do the race. I found a car, one of the first customer 956s, and found my own sponsors. Kremer ran it, but I didn't even have an engineer - I engineered it myself. Everyone was laughing at me for racing this really old car, but I won the fucking race. There were a lot of good cars there. Stefan Bellof was in a Brun car and Jochen Mass was with Joest, and there was a Lancia too. That old car didn't jump around so much on that bumpy track - maybe it was because the chassis had gone soft. That was a cool victory.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.