Just when we thought the whole thing couldn't get any more insane, a man walked past with a fish on his head. This was followed by a banana sitting down to a tea party shared by other former residents of the fruit bowl. At a slightly safer distance, a lager-fuelled gorilla was forward-rolling his way through the mud.
Madness. They call it madness.
And it was very much in evidence for the past few days in London.
My family and I had a fairly odd few days earlier this week. We joined a few people at the side of a river, stood for hours in the pouring rain and watched some boats go past. Then, having just recovered from the metropolitan equivalent of trench foot, we joined the queue to stand at the junction of the A4 and the A3212 in SW1. A queue that appeared to start somewhere just north of the white cliffs of Dover.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.