This weekend marks a new dawn for GP2 as, with the Asia Series scrapped, the main championship will be a trans-continental one for the first time for the up and comers aiming for a career in Formula 1 in the future.
Last year's champion Romain Grosjean has moved on; taking just such an opportunity in F1 with Lotus and joining former title winners Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton, Timo Glock, Nico Hulkenberg and Pastor Maldonado in the big league.
One of the drivers entered for the Sepang season-opener is virtually certain to become champion this year and stake their claim for a grand prix race seat, but who will it be?
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.