I'd paid my money, so I waited. Then I fell asleep. And that was only Sunday. After a working press day on Monday, I fell asleep again. I want my money back.
Only I don't. Because I've got it taped, and the Daytona 500 only comes around once a year - even if it took more than a year for this one to come because of a Super Bowl clash and then the rain.
Being a rally man, I spend quite a lot of my time in the rain, so you might be surprised at my tolerance for a bunch of racers who wait for the sun to come out before they start their engines. But I love NASCAR in the way I love Group 4 Escorts; they sound beautiful and are best driven with a degree of lock on turn-in to a corner.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.