The second pre-season test of F1 2012 gets underway at Barcelona on Tuesday morning with Mercedes taking centre stage as it launches its MGP W03 - the car it hopes can move it closer to the dominant Red Bull squad - most of the rest adding to the mileage they achieved at Jerez, and Marussia and HRT yet to show off their new machines.
Pre-season running, as we've all seen in the past, has been known to throw up a surprise or two, so here at AUTOSPORT, we decided to trawl through our archives to unearth the shock moments of tests gone by.
So what constitutes a shock? Well, in the context of our list, it can be anything from a hot favourite having a disaster to a super-fast time coming from an unexpected source. It could be a novel design proving genius - or stupid - or a top line driver turning out unexpectedly for a tiny team.
1. Brawn stuns rivals
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.