After the start my co-driver Chris Patterson and I made on the Monte Carlo Rally, I just couldn't wait to get back in the car for Rally Sweden. Driving the Ford Fiesta RS WRC on the asphalt in France was great, but getting it on the loose was, I was told, going to be something else.
Everybody told me the car is even better on the loose.
Everybody, you are right.
I had my first test of the car in these conditions in northern Sweden at temperatures close to minus 30 degrees the week before the second round of the World Rally Championship. I was smiling straight away.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.