So, have we got used to it yet? This new generation F1 car that makes the '04 Walrus-nose Williams FW26 look like Jennifer Lopez?
We'd been hearing for a while that the new cars weren't going to look so good, and how! The Ferrari F2012 made you cringe, until the wraps came off Sauber's C31! It must be something to do with the dark livery at the front.
The logic is simple enough. Lower the nose by just over an inch and you should have better safety in a nose-to-side impact, as well as hopefully reducing the chance of an airborne accident like Mark Webber suffered when he ran over the back of Heikki Kovalainen's Lotus in Valencia 18 months ago.
But, as someone put it to me yesterday, "Provided you're not driving 'em, you'd sooner they were orbiting Neptune than looking like that..."
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.