Ten years ago today, on November 25, 2001, Richard Burns made history by becoming the first Englishman to win the World Rally Championship. And the Subaru star won the title with Scotsman Robert Reid alongside.
Tragically, four years to the day after the pair stood on top of the world, Burns lost his fight against cancer, aged 34.
Reid takes us back to 2001 and, more specifically, Rally GB - the pair's crowning glory....
There's no doubt that 2001 was a good year for Richard and me. But, prior to Rally GB, it hadn't been a great one. And Rally GB was anything but a straightforward rally for us. But we got the right result.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.