It seems a mite odd that we can establish F1 races in the likes of China, Korea (temporarily maybe) and India but not, seemingly, a permanent one in the US.
It hasn't been for the want of trying. Sebring, Riverside, Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix and Indianapolis have all come and gone over time.
This time next year, of course, we're due in Austin, Texas, for a 10-year stay until 2021. And, only a fortnight ago came confirmation of a new race in New Jersey - across the Hudson River from Manhattan - starting in 2013.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.