"There have been just two exceptional drivers this year," a team boss (whose identity shall remain secret but you can be assured that his outfit has won both races and championships in recent years) threw my way during a conversation in Singapore last weekend.
"Sebastian and Jenson. They have been simply brilliant this year. No one would have guessed before the season that it would be like that, especially for Jenson. Giving Lewis overtaking lessons at Monza - great job."
During a 2011 campaign that has been dominated by one man, it's been hard to appreciate some of the intra-team battles that have been going on behind that Red Bull Racing RB7 - and especially the quiet revolution that's been going on inside McLaren.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.