When games are released on a yearly basis for any sport, the challenge for its creators is to make sure it is more than just an update of the players and teams that fans are being asked to part with their cash for.
Fortunately, in the case of F1 2011, the Codemasters team behind Formula 1's official return to the wider gaming arena last year has a sport that's made plenty of its own changes to get their teeth into. There was no danger of this year's game being a repainted version of the 2010 edition, so the fact that it has improved graphics, updated cars and driver line-ups are all inconsequential, especially to the hardcore F1 fans who are so keen to have their sport represented properly.
So beyond all the usual gaming speak, just how well does F1 2011 really capture the essence of a sport that has changed so much in the past 12 months?
New for 2011
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.