Black widow? Hunstman? Funnel-web? Or maybe, possibly, just a common Tegenaria domestica. I wasn't sure.
And I wasn't about to take any chances with the saucer-sized spider, which had checked into the same hotel room as me. I legged it.
Last week the World Rally Championship returned to Australia. And there were parts of it I hadn't missed at all.
Almost to a man (and woman), the WRC seems to bring out the Steve Irwin in everybody.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.