Never before have Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton needed each other like now. For if either man is going to turn their slim hopes of beating Sebastian Vettel into an actual World Championship this year, then they know they'll need a lending hand.
The current deficits that both men have, with Hamilton 82 and Alonso 86 points behind Vettel, are big enough to effectively mean that if they battle alone then the championship is gone.
They cannot realistically expect Vettel to retire three times on the bounce while they win races to slash the gap, and by themselves they would need a great deal of good fortune to take the average of 10 points out of Vettel at each race that is needed to win the crown.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.