The build-up to the British Grand Prix could have been turbulent for Virgin Racing, with the team announcing only a few weeks ago that it was to part ways with its technical director Nick Wirth.
On Monday July 5, however, the team received a welcome boost by revealing it had concluded a deal to receive technical assistance and advice from McLaren. As part of the deal, Virgin will have access to McLaren's facilities - such as test rigs, simulators and computer technology - plus its wind tunnel.
The team backed that up with the purchase of Wirth Racing Technologies and its Banbury facility, providing a statement of intent for its long-term future - as sporting director Graeme Lowdon told AUTOSPORT.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.