AUTOSPORT has barely set foot inside Randy Bernard's trailer within the Texas Motor Speedway paddock and already the IndyCar CEO is multi-tasking; juggling effusive welcomes with repeated apologies for the fact that the air-con isn't working - no small matter, given that it is 36 degrees.
He has worked some hospitality in there, too.
"Can we get you some water? Would you like a cap? How about some gum?"
Water opened, cap stashed, gum declined, we finally get talking. And there's a bit to talk about. It's roughly 18 months since Bernard departed his role as the boss of Professional Bullriding to take responsibility for arresting the slide in American single-seater racing.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.