Whatever Lewis Hamilton's real motivation was for deciding to pop down to Red Bull Racing for a brief 'chat' with Christian Horner in Montreal last Saturday night, one thing is for sure: his actions have kicked off the annual driver market silly season.
Forget the talk that Hamilton's visit was about sorting out a contract (it would be Hamilton's management team, not him, who would do that, and it would not be done at a race track).
Instead, his visit probably had more to do with exorcising frustrations in his head after a difficult day on track; and maybe finding some inner clarity about just where he sees his F1 future path mapping out long-term if McLaren cannot give him the very best chance of winning the title.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.