Starting position has always been critical at Monaco, a track where merely being faster than someone in race conditions has never been a guarantee of being able to overtake.
Since 1933, the grid order has been dictated by practice speed (before that, it was drawn by ballot), and some drivers have often been able to pull a great lap out of the bag when they really needed to.
Here are 10 of the best qualifiers around the streets of Monaco. Some of the names might surprise you, with one of the event's greatest winners not even making the list!
Trulli's 2004 pole lap is part of Monaco Grand Prix folklore © LAT
10 Jarno Trulli
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.