With the biggest entry in years - and in many drivers' opinion, perhaps the highest quality ever - the Indianapolis 500's centenary race could potentially recapture the glory of the event's halcyon years.
The practice and qualifying weeks certainly featured more than enough incident and intrigue, and some heart-warming storylines as many of the usual big guns floundered and some highly popular underdogs came to the fore.
The truncated schedule adopted in recent years already meant a lot less pre-qualifying running for the drivers than was once the case. And this year the weather was determined to trim their mileage even further.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.