Shock tyre failures, epic comebacks, impetuous rookies, torrid weather and armed soldiers at the track: just a few of the elements to have distinguished some of Formula 1's most dramatic season openers.
The first race of the season almost inevitably proves to be eventful as new car-driver-team combinations bed down, ring-rusty combatants make seemingly elementary errors, and unproven components either prove to be a decisive advantage or let everyone down.
Edd Straw picks 10 of the best from F1's 61-year history.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.