Round 1 Bahrain Grand Prix
Sakhir, March 14
Sebastian Vettel led most of the way from pole but dropped back to fourth when an exhaust problem robbed the Renault engine in the back of his Red Bull RB6 of power on lap 34.
That handed victory to Fernando Alonso on his Ferrari debut, leading home team-mate Felipe Massa after passing him at the start and charging away once the pair had passed Vettel.
Lewis Hamilton was third for McLaren, having jumped Nico Rosberg's Mercedes in the pitstops, when too passed Vettel with 11 laps to go. Vettel recovered just enough to keep Rosberg at bay for fourth.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.