The first action of the weekend was a bit of a write-off as far as meaningful action goes. More than just the usual cleaning of the circuit and laying down of rubber, the drivers also had to contend with a damp track following an uncharacteristic downpour on Friday morning.
Sebastian Vettel set the quickest time once the circuit dried towards the end, but it was too early to read much into the six-tenth advantage he held over Lewis Hamilton.
McLaren's hopes of challenging for victory escalated later on Friday afternoon when Hamilton went fastest, a quarter of a second ahead of Vettel.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.