Things started dry on Friday and the Red Bull was straight into a league of its own. Vettel was half a second clear up front, though Lewis Hamilton ran Mark Webber pretty close for second.
Vettel set the pace early on Friday © Sutton
Ferrari was off the pace. Alonso had an engine change planned for after the session and that had to stop and shut down his current unit anyway, while Massa was just plain slow.
The absence of the Scuderia left Button fourth and Robert Kubica and Nico Rosberg best of the rest in fifth and sixth. Little else happened, just Kamui Kobayashi and Vitaly Petrov spinning off at Ferradura.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.