As expected, it was a McLaren that led the way in the first session, as Jenson Button set the pace.
Less predictably, a Red Bull pushed him hard. Despite suggestions - largely from the team itself - that this would be the title-chasing squad's worst weekend of the year, Sebastian Vettel got off to a bright start with second, 0.097 seconds behind Button and ahead of Lewis Hamilton in the other McLaren.
Robert Kubica (Renault) and Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) completed the top five.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.