The weather in the first free practice not only typified everything one comes to expect from the Ardennes micro-climate, it also gave the paddock a thoroughly accurate template for the rest of the weekend.
Fernando Alonso set the early pace for Ferrari, and did so for most of the 90-minutes, proving the most adept at finding the grip and learning when was the most appropriate time to switch to intermediates.
A huge downpour half-way through the session brought the field in, but as soon as the rain came, it was gone again - replaced by blue skies and puffy clouds.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.