The first session was blighted by heavy rain at Hockenheim, and as usual two things happen when this is the case; Adrian Sutil goes quickly and one of the established runners has a 'moment'.
Adrian Sutil topped the wet Friday session © Sutton
Well that was true once again this time as the Force India driver went fastest of all as the circuit evolved from a wet one to merely damp through its 90-minute duration.
Lewis Hamilton was the star name in shame, having pushed the left-rear of his McLaren MP4-25 into the centre after losing it at Turn 3 and clouting the barrier heavily. This would cost the 2008 world champion dear as the team would not complete repairs until 75 minutes into FP2.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.