Lewis Hamilton dominated the opening session of the weekend, leading a McLaren one-two, but holding a 0.9-second advantage over team-mate Jenson Button.
The two Mercedes were next up, with the Red Bulls in fifth (Sebastian Vettel) and eighth (Mark Webber), sandwiching the Renaults.
Sebastian Vettel © Sutton
In a fairly uneventful session, the only notable incidents were a throttle problem forcing Karun Chandhok to trundle around the circuit at a crawl to get back to the Hispania pits, and Adrian Sutil losing it at Turn 8 in the closing minutes and rearranging his Force India against the barrier.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.