Lewis Hamilton dominated the opening session of the weekend, leading a McLaren one-two, but holding a 0.9-second advantage over team-mate Jenson Button.
The two Mercedes were next up, with the Red Bulls in fifth (Sebastian Vettel) and eighth (Mark Webber), sandwiching the Renaults.
Sebastian Vettel © Sutton
In a fairly uneventful session, the only notable incidents were a throttle problem forcing Karun Chandhok to trundle around the circuit at a crawl to get back to the Hispania pits, and Adrian Sutil losing it at Turn 8 in the closing minutes and rearranging his Force India against the barrier.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.