Thursday morning set the Monaco weekend up as a battle between Fernando Alonso's Ferrari, star underdog Robert Kubica's Renault, and the Red Bulls.
It was Alonso who emerged in front in the first session, but by only 0.073 seconds over Sebastian Vettel in the Red Bull, and with Kubica just 0.016s further back. The 0.4s gap to Mark Webber in fourth was largely due to traffic, too.
Robert Kubica was quick throughout practice © LAT
The McLarens were back in a low-key seventh and eighth, sandwiched by the Mercedes.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.