De la Rosa: No worries on driver safety in Bahrain
|By Edd Straw||Thursday, April 19th 2012, 10:13 GMT|
GPDA chairman Pedro de la Rosa insists that he has no concerns about driver safety at the Bahrain Grand Prix having seen the situation on the ground in the island kingdom.
The Spaniard underlined that the drivers' body has faith in the FIA's decision-making process.
"It's not a concern," de la Rosa told AUTOSPORT. "Our view is that we don't know about the situation in Bahrain well enough to have a strong opinion about it and we rely on the people who have done all of the research, which is the FIA. We haven't looked into any more details.
"We trust that people that have done it. That's the best that you can do and stay away from the controversy. We are sportsmen and we have to perform at the track full-stop."
While some drivers have talked about additional security arrangements, de la Rosa is not treating the Bahrain race differently to any previous running of the event.
"I am following the same process and the same travel arrangements as any other Bahrain Grand Prix that I've been involved in," he said. "I haven't seen any differences so far.
"Maybe there is a little bit more security at the entrances of hotels, but I haven't seen anything different."
When asked about last night's incident, in which Force India personnel was caught up in a clash between protesters and police and a Molotov cocktail exploded near their car, de la Rosa admitted that he was not aware of the situation.
"Of course, it's not a safe situation if that happens, but I don't know enough about it to say."