Brazilian Grand Prix venue Interlagos considers moving pit and paddock
|By Jonathan Noble||Saturday, November 26th 2011, 14:23 GMT|
Brazilian Grand Prix chiefs are considering a plan to move the Interlagos pits and paddock to the current back straight as part of circuit improvements pencilled in for the next few years.
With the track evaluating modifications in the wake of two fatal stock car accidents earlier this year, there is already a scheme in place for revisions to be made to the run-off areas and current pitlane entry for next year.
One longer-term proposal being considered for 2013 is the total relocation of the pits and paddock - to allow the circuit to build new garages, team offices, media centre and hospitality areas.
Interlagos managing director Claudio Ito told The National newspaper that he hoped the work could be completed in the next two years.
"The municipality, who is the owner of the circuit, have an idea to build a new pit lane and garages and everything," Ito said. "They will move the entire pit lane area to the straight on the other side of the circuit: new entrance, new exit, new buildings."
Ito made it clear that the relocation of the pits was not due to safety considerations but more because it wanted to improve facilities for the teams.
"It is not because of safety, but more because we understand the teams need more space for their operations," he explained. "I believe we will have everything in place by 2013."