Petter Solberg reveals he came close to missing Rally GB
|By David Evans||Wednesday, November 9th 2011, 17:22 GMT|
Petter Solberg has revealed he came close to not starting this week's Rally GB due to budget constraints on his self-funded team.
When the Norwegian started the penultimate round of the series in Catalunya last month, he had already made the decision to miss Rally GB, but his first-stage retirement in Spain brought about a reversal of that plan.
"We knew we couldn't do this event," said Solberg. "The money was too tight and the decision was made. But when we retired in Spain, we decided to save the car and not to do superally so we might be able to come here. Our sponsors then helped us to find some more budget and now we are here. Some times you have to say 'stop, that's enough' and I thought we had come to that point."
Running on a smaller budget, Solberg elected to complete the recce without a service crew - a decision which almost came back to haunt him when his recce car hit trouble. Fortunately, he was rescued by rival teams, who fixed his car and got him back into the recce.
"Now we are here we're going to have a big, big push," he said. "With the conditions this could be an interesting rally. Let's see what happens."