Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 10 views remaining

You have read 10 stories this month. After 20, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 30 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 20 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 30 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.

Andrew Van de Burgt
Editor in Chief

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
WRC NEWS 

Ford team boss Malcolm Wilson surprised by Sebastien Loeb's mistake in Australia

Sebastien Loeb's damaged Citroen in AustraliaFord team principal Malcolm Wilson says he was surprised that championship leader Sebastien Loeb crashed out when leading Rally Australia this morning.

Loeb went off the road midway through the rally's fourth stage, landing the car on its side. The Citroen team hopes Loeb will be able to return to the event tomorrow.

"It was a bit of a shock to hear [about Loeb]," said Wilson. "Okay, we knew the conditions were tricky, you could see that from the times coming through - the way they were getting slower and slower, but it's strange. You don't expect it anymore. It must be two years since he made a mistake and he's clearly had the best position on the road this morning."

With Loeb's Citroen team-mate Sebastien Ogier having also now crashed out, Ford currently holds a one-two on the event with Mikko Hirvonen and Jari-Matti Latvala.

  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  RELATED STORIES
Ford: Win a huge morale boost
Hirvonen takes win and gains on Loeb
Latvala slows to let Hirvonen lead
Novikov says crash his biggest ever
Latvala to cede lead with one stage left
Latvala still in front in Australia
Latvala leads into final day
Latvala maintains lead over Hirvonen
Hunt delighted with Australia progress
Block rues mistake during recce
Ogier still thinks points are possible
Latvala takes lead in Australia
Ogier had been trying to build big lead
Rally set to have more wet conditions
Ford intends to employ team orders
Ford holds one-two at end of Friday
Q & A: Loeb on Rally Australia crash
Loeb: Crash was concentration lapse
Hirvonen leads amid high drama
New engine revitalises Solberg
WRC field say conditions dangerous
Citroen hopes Loeb will restart
Ogier crashes out of Australia lead
Ogier leads following Loeb's crash
Loeb rolls out in Australia
Ogier leads after superspecial
Hunt to start despite turbo problem
Haymarket