Mexico eyeing Formula 1 grand prix after 20-year hiatus
|By Pablo Elizalde||Tuesday, August 9th 2011, 08:25 GMT|
Mexico is working on a plan to bring a Formula 1 grand prix back to the country after a hiatus of nearly 20 years.
Mexican entertainment company CIE is working in conjunction with Carlos Slim Domit, the son of Carlos Slim, the world's richest man, to get Mexico back on the Formula 1 calendar.
"It's being studied," Slim Domit told the Reuters news agency.
Mexico has hosted 15 world championship grands prix, first from 1963 to 1970 and then again from 1986 to 1992.
The Hermanos Rodriguez circuit, which hosted all the Formula 1 races and is operated by CIE, is being considered as one of the possible venues, although it would need an upgrade to be up to GP standards.
According to Reuters, another option could be a new street circuit in Guadalajara.
The country has its first Formula 1 driver since 1981 in Sergio Perez, the Sauber racer making his grand prix debut this year.
FIA president Jean Todt suggested last week Mexico would be welcome to the Formula 1 calendar.
"Today Mexico has a strong economy and I am convinced that in the future this will be possible," Todt told a news conference in Mexico City according to Reuters.
"We know that racing is costly. There are a series of criteria that need to be met for the event, most importantly security."