Swiss Racing Team cancels Paul Ricard GT1 entry and may not return at all
|By Jamie O'Leary||Thursday, July 14th 2011, 11:36 GMT|
The Swiss Racing Team has cancelled its planned return to the GT1 World Championship at Paul Ricard this weekend, and is not certain to return to the series at all.
The outfit, which switched to Lamborghini machinery last winter, suffered significant damage to both its Murcielagos on the opening lap of the Sachsenring race in May and has missed the last two races at Silverstone and Navarra as a result.
Now, team principal Othmar Welti says that as a result of 'multiple problems' that have occurred since then, the team has been withdrawn for the time being.
"There is no alternative for us any more other than cancelling our participation in the FIA GT1 for now," said Welti. "It is a pity that this step has to be taken."
"We were doing well with our cars and were getting better and better even though we did not have a chance to really drive the cars until the first race of the season in Abu Dhabi.
"It is still not clear how it continues now. However, we are not able to continue without cars and under these circumstances."
SRT lies seventh in the teams' championship with Peter Kox/Karl Wendlinger 13th in the drivers' standings.