Doornbos closes on DTM switch
|By Mark Glendenning||Thursday, January 20th 2011, 11:25 GMT|
Former Formula 1 and IndyCar driver Robert Doornbos is close to securing a deal to switch to the DTM in a Mercedes-Benz, this week's AUTOSPORT magazine reveals.
The Dutchman, who has raced in Superleague Formula for Corinthians since his IndyCar stint with Newman/Haas and HVM was ended by budgetary problems at the end of 2009, told AUTOSPORT last week that his discussions with Mercedes were already well advanced.
He expected things to be finalised once the situation regarding Paul di Resta's F1 race deal with Force India is finally announced.
"If he goes to F1 then everybody [at Mercedes] will move up and there will be a vacancy in one of the older cars," said Doornbos.
For the full story of Doornbos's DTM ambitions and news from the rest of the international touring car scene, read this week's AUTOSPORT magazine, on sale now and available digitally