MotoGP aims for Delhi and Austin
|By Dieter Rencken and Matt Beer||Wednesday, January 12th 2011, 11:00 GMT|
MotoGP supremo Carmelo Ezpeleta has confirmed that the new Formula 1 venues in Delhi and Austin are in talks to host grand prix motorcycle racing from 2012 and 2013 respectively.
Both were listed along with Singapore and Abu Dhabi as potential future targets for MotoGP last year, and Ezpeleta said he was keen to get India on the schedule for next season if a deal could be concluded before June, when the 2012 calendar will be finalised.
"They are working right now. The FIM has visited Delhi to decide regarding the safety measures," he said.
"We are awaiting the answer from them, but for now to be honest the Delhi people are so concentrated on finishing the circuit for Formula 1 this year, which is a lot of work. We have time until June to know exactly what the situation is."
Ezpeleta said discussions with the Austin group were at an earlier stage, amid suggestions that the track could replace Indianapolis as MotoGP's second United States venue. The MotoGP rights-holder underlined that he would let the Texas organisers focus on their inaugural F1 grand prix initially.
"We are talking with Austin also, but just talking," said Ezpeleta. "It's one of the circuits we are in discussions with. It's a nice project. Again, they need to have 2012 for Formula 1."
He believes the level of interest from potential MotoGP venues is a key indicator of the championship's health despite continuing tough economic conditions.
"Regarding the sponsorship and the health of the championship, it's going well," Ezpeleta said. "We have a lot of requests from many countries for grands prix. We are discussing those. But in principle, we are okay."