autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Ecclestone: No doubts about Korea

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is convinced that the South Korean Grand Prix will take place this year, despite doubts about the event surfacing earlier this week.

A report in German magazine Focus suggested that track designer Hermann Tilke was unsure if the new circuit would be ready for its inaugural F1 race on October 24.

On the back of track officials stating that construction was on schedule, Ecclestone has also said he is sure the venue will be ready after taking a tour of the track prior to travelling to China.

"I'm absolutely sure," Ecclestone was quoted as saying by the Reuters news agency when asked if he reckoned the track would be ready in time. "No doubt at all."

Ecclestone added that Tilke never said that finishing the venue in time was not guaranteed. "I've spoken to Tilke and he denies saying it," he explained.

Ecclestone also revealed that Russian city Sochi, which hosts the 2014 Winter Olympics, was leading the running to host its country's inaugural grand prix in the next few years.

"We've got two or three places in Russia which we're dealing with at the moment," he said. "There is a big push for us to do something with Sochi."

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
LG confident Korea will be ready
Korean track set for August completion
Korea pleased with track progress
Korean track construction on schedule
Q & A with Korean GP boss Cho Chung
Korea boss confident GP will be a hit
Promoter says Korean track on schedule
Korean GP in danger of being called off
Korean GP construction still on schedule
Korean GP preparations on target
Haymarket