Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 10 views remaining

You have read 10 stories this month. After 20, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 30 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 20 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 30 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.

Andrew Van de Burgt
Editor in Chief

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Sato drops out of Lotus contention

Takuma SatoThe new Lotus team looks set to field Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen next season after Takuma Sato's management revealed that the Japanese driver had been informed he had failed to secure a drive with the squad.

Sato was believed to be vying with Kovalainen for one Lotus seat, with Trulli a strong favourite for the other. Lotus is due to announce its line-up tomorrow, but Sato's manager Matthew Winter says his driver has already missed out.

"We know Taku has not got Lotus - we found out yesterday," Winter told Reuters. "He has now come off the list."

Winter had hoped Sato would find favour with Lotus' Asian backers, as the team is ultimately set to be based in Malaysia, and has been founded by Air Asia entrepreneur Tony Fernandes.

"We don't know what the criteria was," Winter said. "We thought he was a very strong contender, you don't get more Asian than Taku."

Sato had hoped that the expanded Formula 1 field next season would enable him to make a comeback nearly two years after the collapse of Super Aguri left him on the sidelines. He had also been linked to the IndyCar Series, but said F1 was his first priority.

With the Lotus option gone, Winter conceded that Sato's hopes of a 2010 F1 seat were now fading.

"We haven't given up," he said. "There are still a few seats open and we are trying to hunt them down. His options are running out so we don't know if he is going to be in Formula 1 next year."

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Lotus reveals new team logo
Q & A with Tony Fernandes
Q & A with Heikki Kovalainen
Q & A with Jarno Trulli
Trulli, Kovalainen confirmed at Lotus
Lotus to reveal drivers on Monday
Lotus driver announcement imminent
Lotus: Malaysian driver not essential
Haymarket