Massa to remain in coma for 48 hours
|By Jonathan Noble||Sunday, July 26th 2009, 12:15 GMT|
Felipe Massa will remain in an induced coma for another 48 hours to aid his recovery, hospital officials in Budapest have confirmed.
Although Massa was woken up briefly on Sunday morning, the AEK Hospital's medical director Peter Bazso said on Sunday that the Brazilian would remain induced for another two days.
Bazso said that Massa remained in intensive care in a stable condition, but that there had been reassuring results at least from the surgery on a skull fracture and brain concussion.
"It brought the result that we had expected concerning an injury of this type," Bazso was quoted as saying.
However he said that Massa remained in an acute phase of treatment.
Following tests conducted on Sunday, Bazso said that Massa had not sustained any neurological damage as a result of the crash, which was caused when he was hit on the head by a spring from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn GP car.
Massa's father Luis Antonio arrived at the hospital on Sunday, having flown in from Brazil, and the Ferrari driver was also visited by team principal Stefano Domenicali.