Johnny Herbert dominated today's Speedcar race in Bahrain and moved to just one point behind championship leader Gianni Morbidelli ahead of tomorrow's season finale.
Herbert swept into a firm lead at Turn 1 and quickly opened up a lead over second-placed Jean Alesi, who beat front row starter Heinz-Harald Frentzen down to the first corner.
Alesi's race didn't last long as his engine blew up on the main straight at the end of the fourth lap, just as Vitantonio Liuzzi made a move on Frentzen for what was now second. The pair touched and Liuzzi sailed straight on, although he was soon back on Frentzen's tail.
Herbert enjoyed a trouble-free race and was 10 seconds clear by the end.
"I got a nice start and luckily I had some breathing space because you never know what can happen," Herbert said. "Then it was just settling down into a nice pace. I pushed a bit more at the beginning because I had new tyres, and I used those."
Liuzzi followed Frentzen home in third and Christopher Zoechling beat Morbidelli to fourth place, allowing Herbert to close the gap in the standings to a single point.
"Getting to him is the problem," said Herbert. "That was always going to be the key. It's a bit like last year, I had to win today. It's where I expected to be,and now it's down to who races best.
"Hopefully I've got the pace to get him. I did it last time we came here and hopefully I can do it again. But it isn't going to be easy."
Pos Driver Team Gap
1. Johnny Herbert JMB 40m59.350s
2. Heinz-Harald Frentzen Continental Circus 10.339s
3. Vitantonio Liuzzi UP Team 12.545s
4. Christopher Zoechling Continental Circus 20.396s
5. Gianni Morbidelli Palm Racing 23.398s
6. Hasher Al-Maktoum UP Team 25.168s
7. Damien Pasini JMB 26.539s
8. Tomas Biagi Palm Racing 34.563s
9. Nicolas Navarro Durango 39.483s
10. Ramez Azzam Scuderia Giudici 46.854s
11. Massimo Cioci Durango 61.776s
12. Marchy Lee HPR +1 lap
David Terrien West Tec 12 laps
Gianni Giudici Scuderia Giudici 11 laps
Chris Buncombe West Tec 9 laps
Jean Alesi HPR 4 laps
Fastest Lap, Liuzzi 2m07.791s on lap 2