Gronholm considering Dakar move
|By Toni Heinonen and Aki Hietavala||Monday, January 26th 2009, 16:55 GMT|
Marcus Gronholm is considering entering next year's Dakar Rally if the event continues to take place outside of Africa.
The two-time World Rally champion has been linked with a return to rallying since his retirement at the end of 2007. He competed in the European Rallycross championship last year and now says he is "fascinated" by the Dakar.
"I watched the Dakar Rally from TV," Gronholm told Finnish website Sportti.com. "It looks fascinating and because it isn't in Africa any more, maybe next year it would be an option.
"As I have told once, I would never participate in the Dakar Rally when it is in Africa, but now it is interesting."
Gronholm had been lining up a WRC return with Subaru this year, but those plans fell through before Christmas when the manufacturer withdrew from the championship.
Additional reporting by Steven English