FIA dismisses Sutil penalty claims
|By Jonathan Noble||Friday, June 6th 2008, 22:58 GMT|
The FIA has dismissed reports that Adrian Sutil would have lost his fourth place because of a yellow flag infringement if he had finished the Monaco Grand Prix.
Swiss newspaper Blick quoted FIA steward Paul Gutjahr last week as saying that the governing body would have handed Sutil a 25-second penalty for overtaking cars under the yellow flag if he had finished in the points.
However, the FIA has stated that Gutjahr's comments do not represent the true situation and it has confirmed that Sutil would indeed have kept hold of his fourth place if he had not crashed with Kimi Raikkonen.
An FIA spokesman said: "It is out of the question that Sutil would have been given a penalty at the Monaco Grand Prix if he had finished."
Sutil was told in the drivers' briefing that he would not have been given any more than the reprimand he got.
Force India team principal Colin Kolles said the FIA's clarification did not surprise him, as he believes the circumstances of Sutil overtaking stationary cars at the hairpin was not enough to warrant punishment.
"It is no relief to hear this news, as it was what we always said and what we always knew," he told autosport.com. "There is a difference between overtaking cars under the yellow flag and getting past cars that are stationary and stuck."
Sutil was called to see the stewards after the Monaco GP to discuss the situation, and he was handed a reprimand.